cosplay props and behavior policy
Cosplaying at Oz Comic-Con? Awesome!
Whether you’re donning a super hero mask for the first time or you’re a seasoned worbla maestro, we have some rules in place regarding certain props and behaviours that make sure everyone attending has a safe and super experience at the show!
THE FOLLOWING RULES ARE NON-NEGOTIABLE, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR PROPS DON’T RUN AFOUL OF THE BELOW:
1. NO SHARP THINGS
Anything sharp or pointy is not allowed at the show. A giant metal sword, arrow tips, Bioshock syringes, wolverine claws, etc – make sure all they’re all soft or blunt.
2. NO REAL OR REPLICA FIREARMS
If it looks TOO real, then it’s too much. This is in adherence with state laws, and even includes fake or toy guns. Please make sure your prop firearm has a fluorescent tip at the end to indicate it isn’t functional, and refer to the state laws for what replica weapons are or are not acceptable in a public space. (Keep scrolling…we’ve included a link to state laws at the bottom of this page!).
3. FUNCTIONAL PROJECTILES
Shooting your co-workers with nerf guns is an important part of office life, but at an event with tens of thousands we don’t want stray foam missiles/arrows/water balloons flying around the show. Water guns are fine as long as they’re empty, bows are fine as long as the string is slack, and Airsoft weapons are not allowed at the show at all. This policy also applies to all props, including bow and arrows, medieval props & whips.
4. EXPLOSIVES/CHEMICALS/TASERS/LASER POINTERS
This should be pretty obvious, right? These shouldn’t be things you bring anywhere, much less a massive pop culture convention! No fireworks, mace, pepper spray, laser pointers (with an accessible emission limit of greater than 1mW).
5. NO ANNOYING LOUD THINGS
Airhorns are loud, annoying, potentially damaging. So are crying babies, but we won’t confiscate them off you.
6. NO GLASS PROPS
Sorry but your amazing Glass Sword from Skyrim won’t be allowed at the show.
7. NO HELIUM BALLOONS
As much as we would love to see your killer Pennywise cosplay, you can only put air in those balloons. Helium balloons get lost in the ceiling or sucked into the air conditioning will cost you a pretty penny in cleaning fees so leave them at home.
TWO ADDITIONAL RULES ARE A LITTLE LESS HARD AND FAST, BUT NO LESS IMPORTANT:
8. NO PROPS THAT ARE STUPIDLY HUGE
I mean, if you can’t fit through the entrance door with your prop or cosplay outfit, then we’re not OK with you having it on the show floor. You’re just gonna get in everyone’s way and there’s a good chance your stuff will get ruined. Help us help you! This rule is at the judgement of Oz Comic-Con staff, however as a general rule of thumb, try not to have anything larger or wider than 2 metres.
9. NO HIGH DENSITY AND HEAVY PROPS
Let’s try to avoid people bringing along big, heavy, blunt instruments that could be super damaging in an accident. We’re talking big heavy Cloud Swords, lead pipes or items you’d find in a Streets of Rage game.
If you think your prop falls into either of these two categories, come see us at the PROPS INSPECTION booth Oz Comic-Con, where if we deem it not acceptable we can store your prop for the duration of the show, and if deemed acceptable we will tag it so you can bring it into the show.
- If you are caught with any of the above inappropriate props on the show floor of Oz Comic-Con, depending on the severity it will result in your prop being confiscated, checked into the Prop Inspection booth or your removal from the convention without refund.
- Misuse of any prop weapon, in particular swinging it in a public area or causing a hazard to attendees, will result in the weapon or prop being deemed unsafe for the convention. Be aware of your surroundings if you are carrying a prop and keep an eye out for your fellow attendees!
- Don’t be a jerk about the decisions of Oz Comic-Con staff and volunteers if your prop isn’t allowed into the convention. Our primary concern is the safety of the attendees, and that IS more important than your authentic cosplay creation … though it is a close second.
AT SHOW PURCHASES
Oz Comic-Con features some exhibitors that sell props and weapons that fall outside the scope of our policies. In this case, exhibitors are instructed to sell these props in secure boxes at the show. If you take a restricted prop weapon out of its box within Oz Comic-Con, you will be removed from the convention without refund.
Some exhibitors or clubs will have specific exemptions with their props or behaviours in certain cases as arranged with Oz Comic-Con management, where we are confident of their safe use.
Have a question about any of the above? Contact us at email@example.com!